Wednesday, January 26, 2011

LETTER TO A FIRST BORN


My daughter is, at this moment, attending a 2-day seminar on Character Formation. Their school's way to prepare them for highschool. Her adviser asked the parents to write messages for the kids. But it's supposed to be a secret for the meantime. Denise is clueless about it until she is asked to read it before the class. I'm posting the original letter which was written from my own point of view and experience. But in the letter I gave to the adviser, I had to change the I to WE so as to include hubby. I'm not the only parent here after all.
 !3B<2Fi>

DENISE,

Long before we became parents, your dad and I have envisioned the child we wish to have. It's amazing how God answers prayers, because looking at you now, yougre amost exactly the child that we relentlessly asked from the Sacred Heart. A beautiful, intelligent daughter for our first born.

Being a first time parent to a first born did not come so easy. I guess at one point I might have harmed your very fragile self-esteem everytime I push you to my own standard of "perfection". For imposing you to always do good especially with your studies. I plead guilty. Parents tend to mold their children according to their image and likeness. I guess we have to be reminded.. we are not gods(this line I borrowed from my old post).But through time, I am learning. That goes the same  with your dad. 

You're growing up so fast! Soon enough, you'll be a teener. It's a long, overwhelming phase of changes. Alterations. Confusions. A lot of growing up pains and joys that might leave you bewildered, and sometimes feeling all on your own. Rest assured that we'll be here for you. Being a friend and a parent are equally important this time. And we pray that God may give us wisdom to know when to be a friend or when to be a parent to you.  Or at times, both.

You always ask me what career path I think is suited for you. And I always answer, "I-pray mo lagi sa diyos". We may be your parents, but we don't know  all the answers. So I refer you to the One who knows everything. Always seek for God. Always seek for His wisdom. The three of us.. God, your dad and I will  be here to guide you. In every undertaking, we'll support you all through out..

We love you always.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaawww. So touching! I can't believe how much Denise has grown. She looks like a young lady now. Waaa! Makes me feel old!

LOREN said...

donutfacediaries---
Indeed. Kids grow up so fast! They're getting closer to our age, while we stay the same. hahaha!!